The Magdalen Chapel, Edinburgh – A 16th Century Chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Founded by Michael Macquhane (Macqueen) who died in 1538 and his wife Janet Rynd. The building was both a Chapel and a Guildhall for the Incorporation of Hammermen (craftsmen and merchants). In 1544 a small hospital/almshouse was dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene at this site, for seven Bedesmen (poor men) to pray for the soul of Mary Queen of Scots. Prior to the Reformation the Chapel was used for academic lectures arranged by the Queen Regent, Mary of Guise.